If your family is new to Grande Prairie, you may be in the market for a new dentist. Choosing a new dentist can be difficult, so here are five tips from our dentists at Access Dental to help you decide.
Tip 1: Consider Location & Office Procedures
Visiting the dentist every six months for a cleaning and checkup is essential for maintaining a healthy smile. For this reason, considerations like office location, office hours, and patient communication are key when choosing a new dental office.
For each dental office you are considering, ask yourself the following questions:
- Is it close to my home, and easy to get to?
- Do the office hours work with my family’s schedule?
- Does this dentist accept my dental insurance?
- How does this office handle appointment booking, cancelations, and reminders?
Tip 2: Do Some Field Work
If you are reading this article, then you probably are already doing some research! That said, here are some research options you may not have considered:
- Check out your local or provincial dental society for a list of dentists near you.
- Talk to friends and family in the area; where do they go?
- After you’ve narrowed down some options, read online reviews about the dentists and dental offices on your list.
Tip 3: Pay Some Visits
Once you have narrowed down your search based on the criteria in Tips 1 and 2, visit each office on your list. This will allow you to get a feel for the office environment, the staff, and the dental team, and help you decide if they would be a good fit for your family.
At Access Dental, our dentists are always happy to welcome new patients looking to get to know our office. Just give us a call to let us know you’d like to take a look around, and we’d be glad to give you a tour!
Tip 4: Consider Special Interests & Experience
If you or a family member is dealing with a specific type of dental problem, consider choosing a dentist with a specialty or special interest in that area.
At Access Dental, our general dentist Dr. Nonkovic has a special interest in dental implants (implantology) and TMD/TMJ, and has taken a number of training courses to develop his proficiency in these fields.
Tip 5: Evaluate After The First Appointment
Once you have landed on a dental office that you think would be right for you and your family, book and attend a first appointment. Afterwards, ask yourself the following questions:
- Were the dentist, hygienist and administrative team friendly and approachable? Were they happy to answer all your questions, and able to provide information about fees, availability and appointments?
- Did they explain your treatment options and plan in a way that you could understand? Were your questions and concerns about your dental health addressed to your satisfaction?
- Did the dentist or hygienist address at-home preventive care with you?
- Did the practice seem clean, inviting, and well organized?
If the answers to the above questions are all yes, then this dentist may be a good fit!
Welcoming New Patients in Grande Prairie
The dentists and team at Access Dental are always happy to welcome new patients to our dental office. If you are looking for a family dentist in Grande Prairie, we would be thrilled if you would consider us!